Search

Monday, October 7, 2013

Hope


Hope. The feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best.
           
            Hope is a good thing. It can push you to do things you never thought you could. It drives you to think and feel.  This is what happened to Alex and Conner Bailey in the book, “The Land of Stories” by Chris Colfer. Alex and Conner the two main protagonists of the story come back to their second home, “The Land of Stories” to help stop the evil enchantress Ezmia who has returned to take over both worlds. Now they are on a highly dangerous not very possible quest to build the Wand of Wonderment, the most powerful wand ever. They are planning to use it to overthrow the Enchantress, but they face many obstacles along the way.

The author used their mother’s engagement ring to represent hope. For example, “She picked up her mother’s silver engagement ring off the ground and handed it to Bob. It gave them hope that everything haven’t been lost.” (Page 417) Alex and Conner needed hope because the Enchantress was taking away everything that is dear to them.

            Their mother’s engagement ring (not yet given to her by the twins soon to be stepdad Bob) is something the twins look at as hope. The hope that the ring gave drove them to save their world and their mother from the Enchantress. Hope gives you that extra push to know you can. Hope saves things, and keeps you thinking everything is going to be ok. If you don’t have hope, then you don’t come out winning.

            Hope is that one thing that carries you up the hill and helps you at a bad time. I know this because I have felt hope. When my mom had to go to the hospital because of her migraines. I felt hopeless and scared, but I knew this would just worry me even more. I knew I had to have hope. I had hope carry me, and everything was ok. If you don’t have hope to carry you… then how are you ever going to get over the hill.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie! I decided to post a comment on this article instead because i feel like you did an excellent job supporting this idea of Hope through your own thoughts, and clues from the text! I also like the note you added about a time you felt hope, and I agree that hope can do most of the work if you have faith.

    ReplyDelete